[Bio-linux-dev] zram swap

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 05:03:17 EST 2013

Hi Tony,

I can't see any of these packages on our test machines, and I've not
modified the Ubiquity installer on the ISO at all so I don't understand
where these packages came from on your machine.  Are you sure the
installation process on your machine finished normally?  If the last
step in the ISO installer is to remove these packages then it sounds to
me like the installer didn't finish completely.  Is that possible?

Cheers,

TIM

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 00:57 +0000, Tony Travis wrote:
> Hi, Tim.
>
> I noticed that the 'live' CD compressed swap device was present on my
> Bio-Linux 7 laptop after running your upgrade script. This is normally
> removed along with casper, ubiquity and several other packages as the
> last step during installation from 'live' media.
>
> I mentioned this to you previously re: Bio-Linux 6/Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
> In the case of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, the packages to be removed are in:
>
>    iso:/casper/filesystem.manifest-remove
>
> I manually purged the casper and ubiquity packages:
>
> > aptitude purge lupin-casper casper ubiquity ubiquity-casper ubiquity-frontend-gtk ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu ubiquity-ubuntu-artwork
>
> I then updated the initramfs image:
>
> > update-initramfs -u
>
> After rebooting, the /dev/zram0 swapfile was no longer present.
>
> These "compcache" compressed swap files are only intended to be used
> during 'live' sessions or on systems with limited amounts of RAM. There
> is a performance penalty when using them and they also occupy valuable
> RAM that could be used directly. Their main use is to 'extend' RAM when
> a swap disk is not available during installation from 'live' media.
>
> Bye,
>
>    Tony.

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England