[Bio-linux-dev] Ubuntu Mir Concerns

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Jul 1 10:15:05 EDT 2013

Hi Jan,

Everyone in the know seems to be saying that the transition away from X
as the core Linux display server is "a good thing", and having dealt
with X configuration details for many years I would agree.  Running all
the X apps via a compatibility mode should not be a problem because it
is the same X display code just connecting to the new Mir system which
is driving the hardware.  Mac users know that this approach works well.

The recent controversy has been the split between Mir and Wayland, and
you can get a flavour of it by looking at some recent Slashdot stories:

http://slashdot.org/index2.pl?fhfilter=wayland

The initial effect of the Mir announcement seems to have been a spurring
on of the Wayland developers to get the system working.  If Mir and
Wayland both become viable solutions then this is no bad thing!

Regarding Ubuntu 14.04, which should form the basis of Bio-Linux 8, I
don't think there is a need for concern.  If Mir with X compatibility
works well then we can use it.  If not, then others in the community
will ensure that X server packages continue to be available because
many, many users want these things, and I will build Bio-Linux with
these packages.

One significant difference between Mir and Wayland is that Wayland aims
for excellent remote desktop/remote application support while Mir
currently does not.  Remote X is essential for many Bio-Linux users so
I'll do whatever is needed to retain this feature.

Regarding dropping APT/Dpkg, there's no way that Ubuntu could do this
for the 14.04 release and I've seen no sign of them reducing support for
things like the Launchpad PPA service.  If Ubuntu did drop Debian
packaging then we'd almost certainly switch Bio-Linux back to Debian,
but I don't think this is any concern right now.  I think you just have
to regard Ubuntu Touch as a separate Ubuntu-branded Canonical product,
very much separate from the Ubuntu OS which is still being positioned as
a server/workstation solution.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England