[Bio-linux-dev] Package clean out

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Thu Mar 14 13:15:28 EDT 2013

Hi Devs,

Just a note to say I have had a clear out of the package server and
purged all the obsolete stuff that is unneeded or incompatible with
Bio-Linux 7.  This was on my TODO list for a while.  This will stop
these old packages appearing in Synaptic and hopefully therefore end
much of the confusion when people try to install the packages onto
Vanilla Ubuntu.

There may be a few side effects:

* Anyone still on Bio-Linux 6 who removes one of these from their system
will not be able to install it back via apt-get but I don't really see
this as a problem.

* Users of Bio-Linux 6 may see more warnings about packages that cannot
be upgraded.  Again this is not really a problem as BL6 is obsolete.

* If you have a custom configuration script you will want to check it
does not reference any disappeared packages.  CloudBioLinux build
scripts in particular may need updating.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England