[Bio-linux-dev] Bio-Linux 8 ready for Beta-testing

Tony Travis tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Jul 1 08:38:15 EDT 2014

On 30/06/14 15:59, Tony Travis wrote:
> On 30/06/14 15:17, Tim Booth wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I also noticed that on the 'greeter' screen the (dotted) version of the
>>> current desktop wallpaper is not stretched or zoomed to fill the screen
>>> as it was before on a 1600x900 external monitor connected to my laptop.
>>
>> No idea what I need to do to fix this.  I'll see if I can reproduce the
>> problem.  Yes, I do want to make the system make a good impression if I
>> can.
>
> Hi, Tim.
>
> The problem only seems to happen when booting: If I just logout/in, the
> greeter doesn't have the BL desktop wallpaper - Just the default one...

Hi, Tim.

Same problem on the lock screen - This only happens if you use an
external monitor on a laptop, but it didn't happen on the same laptop
and external monitor under BL7.

I've been trying out the x2go 'MATE' desktop, which works well, but I
think might be improved if you change the default 96dpi font rendering
resolution to 106dpi. The bold fonts don't work very well at 96dpi. The
appearance of text on the MATE desktop at 106dpi is similar to text on
the default Unity desktop. The 96dpi font rendering resolution is for
1024x768 monitors, but has been adopted as a default for X11. I also
changed the font rendering to use "Subpixel smoothing (LCD's)". Tested
remote MATE sessions on my work desktop workstation "wildcat" via the
LAN and on my workstation "minke" at home via ADSL.

BTW, I owe you a beer: Your "aptitude keep-all" fixed the post-install
problems on "minke", so I've now upgraded three machines successfully.

Bye,

  Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.