[Bio-linux-dev] BioLinux derivative

spaporovic at fh-bielefeld.de spaporovic at fh-bielefeld.de
Wed May 21 12:27:06 EDT 2014

Hello,

its a task I think about since some years:

I my mind BioLinux is a very good enviroment for bioinformatics. Beside
this I have some contacts to medical care services. They need some
different software for their work, so BioLinux is not exactly what they
want.

In 2012 I have already done a derivative of Ubuntu for Physics. I have
made this as a little present for some physicist I know. They were
happy:). But it was not designed for going in the wild, so it is not
public available.

This time I would like to do this a little bit broader and as already
mentioned above for medical services.

I am not so sure if I start with Ubuntu again or this time, because it
has already got a bunch of extra work and refinement, with BioLinux.

Tim, you have derived BioLinux7 in 2012 from precise. I would like to
start with my work on a more up to date LTS. Well, it is Ubuntu14.04 I
have an eye on. Have you already started to design BioLinux8, probably
on the 14.04 basis?

For my project, if I realy do it, I would like to establish a default
unity-desktop with cairo-dock enabled. Also some additional compiz
features may be used, but I am careful with this in mind. It should be
kept at whole as a office desktop. Some medical specific packages like
CMS(Clinical Managment System)should be integrated from a custom
repository. I think about to integrate some of them directly in the
unity-desktop with the web-content abilities of unity, as far as they
work with a web-interface. It seems to be not very complicated to do
this, like the ubuntu documentation shows, but keeps as an add-on,
because of the additional time invest.

Beside this, adoptions to the system, like removing the Ubuntu brandings
or make some changes to the Software-Center, you have already done for
BioLinux7, are necessary also.

I remember that there where some documents available from you how to
make the derivation for BioLinux from Ubuntu, even when they only focus
on BioLinux6. Do you have this provided also for the more recent
OS-Version(s)?

Greetings

Sasa Paporovic