[Bio-linux-dev] Security

Tony Travis tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 10:55:27 EDT 2014

Hi, Tim.

I've just noticed that the "guest" account is enabled on Bio-Linux 7 and
8 - Is that by design, or inherited from Ubuntu?

I think that's insecure, so I disabled "guest" on the console using:

> # disble guest login on console
> vim lightdm.conf
> [SeatDefaults]
> user-session=ubuntu
> greeter-session=unity-greeter
> autologin-user=
> allow-guest=false
> service lightdm restart
>
> # kill any "guest" processes left running
> pkill -U guest-BA5aVt

Where "guest-BA5aVt" is the obfuscated name of the guest user on that
particular system...

Bye,

  Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.