[Bio-linux] Backing Up

Milo Thurston mith at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Nov 13 04:40:51 EST 2002

In message <B9F75223.741D%pkerrwall at psu.edu> you wrote:
>What type of hardware should I purchase and do you have any example scripts
>for such a task?

The cheapest and simplest backup setup is to use dump to store compressed images
of each partition onto a large partition on another disk. I have a couple of machines
containing two disks for this purpose, but it's also possible to dump across the network
using ssh. I can supply a couple of simple scripts to do this, if anyone wants.
This system is cheap and simple for one machine, but does not protect against some sorts
of data loss (theft and fire, for example).
For more elaborate and robust solutions involving tapes, Nicolas will hopefully answer...
Milo.

--
Dr. Milo Thurston, CEH Oxford, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR.
'phone 01865 281658,  fax 01865 281696.