[Bio-Linux] New image released for Bio-Linux 3.0

Dan Swan dswan at ceh.ac.uk
Thu Apr 29 09:36:38 EDT 2004

Dear all,

due to a number of bugfixes we have taken a new image of Bio-Linux.
Feel free to sync against the image:

bio-linux_3.0_650_NVIDIA_29042004

We have added a script to /etc/cron.monthly to keep the yum cache
cleared out.  If you wish to add something similar:

create a file in /etc/cron.mounthly with the filename yum_clean.sh.
Paste in the next 2 lines:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/yum clean packages

then sudo chmod 755 /etc/cron.monthly/yum_clean.sh

We have also added the Mesquite package
(http://mesquiteproject.org/mesquite/mesquite.html) to the system.

We have corrected a symlink in /usr/software/exec - the file "baselmg"
should be called "basemlg".

We have reorganised /usr/software/documentation as part of our ongoing
effort to improve this area of Bio-Linux.  We hope to release a complete
documentation update soon with all bioinformatics related documentation
available and searchable from a single web interface.  This requires
categorisation of all the software, and the development of a basic
content management system for the documentation, some format conversion
and a lot of discussion and we currently have a new member of staff
(Tanya) dedicated to this effort.

As you're no doubt aware, Red Hat 9.0 support runs out tomorrow (April
30th) as soon as I have a replacement yum.conf file ready for
distribution I will release it on the list.

regards,

Dan

--
Dr Dan Swan - Bio-Linux Developer | RHCE
EGTDC, CEH, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR
http://envgen.nox.ac.uk/ | dswan at ceh.ac.uk