[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux 3.0 installations and updates.

Dan Swan dswan at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 05:09:38 EST 2004

Hi All,

The initial rush of Bio-Linux 3.0 installations has slowed, so we
currently have a number of slots available for those of you who have not
yet upgraded.

We offer 2 methods of updating - a complete reinstall for people who
just prefer to back up their data and make a clean start, or an upgrade
which preserves your data, but is slightly more involved.

This is all covered in the following document:

http://envgen.nox.ac.uk/envgen/software/archives/000432.html

Bio-Linux 1.0/2.0/2.1 users who have not upgraded are advised to do so
soon as ReHat 7.3 support (the platform on with versions 1 - 2.1 are
based) is shortly being withdrawn.

If you installed Bio-Linux 3.0 for beta testing purposes prior to
Christmas you may wish to synchronise your machine against our latest
image.  Please contact the helpdesk (helpdesk at envgen.nox.ac.uk) for details.

Recent updates to the Bio-Linux image include:

Latest kernel (2.4.20-28.9)
Updated rsync (rsync 2.5.7-0.9)
Updated Apache (2.0.40-21.9)
plus many other updates.

There have also been some fixes applied to the image thanks to bug
supports reported by various people, thanks to everyone who contributed.

regards,

Dan and the Bio-Linux team

--
Dr Dan Swan (RHCE) - Bio-Linux Developer
EGTDC, CEH, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR
http://bio-linux.net/ | dswan at ceh.ac.uk