[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux Security Update

Stewart Houten shou at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Oct 21 07:40:40 EDT 2005

Hi all,

This email is intended for all Bio-Linux systems administrators.

It has come to our attention that there are a few minor security flaws
in the current Bio-Linux system which have been addressed in the
attached security script.  We would advise that you take some time in
the near future to run the script on each of the Bio-Linux machines in
your charge.

To apply the script:

1. Save the attachment as "securityupdate.tar.gz"
2. Untar/gunzip the attachment:
	$ tar zxf securityupdate.tar.gz
3. Run the script as sudo (or root):
	$ sudo ./securityupdate.sh

In brief, the script will tighten the permissions on the /root
directory and ensure that files previously sourced from /root are now
sourced from the proper locations.

If you have any questions or problems then please email the NEBC
helpdesk <helpdesk at envgen.nox.ac.uk>.

Regards,
Stewart
--
Dr Stewart Houten, Bio-Linux Developer
NEBC, CEH, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR