[Bio-Linux] Distributed computing

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Mon Feb 20 10:06:43 EST 2006

Milo Thurston wrote:
> Dear All,
> I just spotted this link concerning the "Berkeley Open Infrastructure for
> Network Computing".
> http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
> Given the requirements for setting up one's own project it might not be
> of much use to us right now, but you may find it interesting.
> http://boinc.berkeley.edu/parallelize.php

Hello, Milo.

I tried using the boinc client for the seti @ home project:

	http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

However, we're now folding proteins - that's more appropriate for RRI!

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=RowettResearchInstitute

What did you have in mind for boinc under Bio-Linux?

I'm interested in P2P computing + P2P databases. As you might remember
from my recent visit to NEBC, I want to create a Bio-Linux based 'black
box' for my NuGO work. Do you think boinc might be useful to spread the
computational burden of analysing DNA microarray data, for example?

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687