[Bio-Linux] Debian source packages?

Jeremy Martinson jmartins+ at pitt.edu
Thu Jul 27 11:04:10 EDT 2006

I too am running several Bio-Linux packages under Ubuntu Dapper. I had to
install xlibs, but apart from that they install perfectly and run very well
- I even get automatic updates of the packages I have installed.

I would also be interested in a 64-bit version of Bio-Linux. At the moment I
have installed regular i386 Ubuntu on my AMD64 PC because it is sometimes
too challenging to fool some of the programs that require the i386
environment into running on a 64-bit OS.

Jeremy

On 7/27/06, Tony Travis <ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk> wrote:

> JK (Jesper Agerbo Krogh) wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > We currently using Ubuntu on both amd64 and i386 as platform for our
> > Biocomputing needs. We're reasonably skilled in packaging(and compiling)
> > Debian packages.
> >
> > So in order to get the Biolinux packages on the platforms I would like
> > to know if
> > The Debian source-packages are available somewhere. I've been looking a
> > bit at the
> > Web-archive, but they don't seem to be included in the Debian
> > repository.
>
> Hello, Jesper.
>
> We are developing 'biobuntu', which consists of i386 Bio-Linux4 packages
> installed with other freely available bioinformatics software under i386
> Ubuntu 'Dapper' 6.06 LTS, for our NBX (NuGO Black Box) project:
>
>         http://nbx1.rri.sari.ac.uk
>
> I'm interested to hear about your experience of installing/running
> Bio-Linux packages under Ubuntu. We had to install the "xlibs" package
> from an earlier version of Ubuntu before I could install the public
> Bio-Linux4 packages from NEBC.
>
> I am also interested in an amd64 version of Bio-Linux. The source code
> is already present in most of the 'binary' Bio-Linux debs. I had thought
> of breaking out the source and creating deb-src packages, but don't have
> time on the current project. For now, we are running a 32-bit kernel and
> 32-bit applications on "Iwill" small form-factor dual Opteron servers:
>
>         http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=36
>
> Best wishes,
>
>         Tony.
> --
> Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
> Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
> Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
> Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687

Dr Jeremy Martinson
Assistant Professor
University of Pittsburgh
Dept. Infectious Diseases & Microbiology
Graduate School of Public Health
130 DeSoto St
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
+