[Bio-Linux] USB flash-drive on Bio-linux

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Thu May 4 12:13:47 EDT 2006

Hi Jose,

Your machine has SCSI drives, so your main hard drive is /dev/sda, your
second drive is /dev/sdb and the first thing you hotplug will end up
as /dev/sdc.

Therefore the correct line for /etc/fstab is:

/dev/sdc1   /media/usbkey   vfat    user,noauto     0       0

Does that work for you?

Also some USB keys just don't want to play ball and come up as /dev/sdc
(no number 1 on the end) or else need repartitioning from scratch to
work on Linux.

Cheers,

TIM

ps.  There is a system called HAL which will one day soon make all this
stuff go away, but at the moment you only get it with Ubuntu Linux.