[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux Upgrade

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 11:31:35 EDT 2007

Stewart Houten wrote:
> [...]
> pitfalls that might be encountered.  Alternatively, if you wish to
> reinstall your machine with our updated image then please contact us
> and request a new installation CD.

Hello, Stewart.

Yes, I would like to upgrade my Bio-Linux4 reference machine at RRI:

	143.234.32.16 rri16.rri.sari.ac.uk rri16 kitcat

I've rebuilt this machine recently and it's currently running Ubuntu.
I'll use another machine in future, because this one is part of our
openMosix Beowulf cluster, but its IP address is in your firewall.

Please send me an updated CD image - thanks.

Re: 'biobuntu' I could kick myself for taking so long to discover why my
'live' DVD wasn't working! Well, I have been busy with other things
recently too. In short, it was because doing:

	aptitude dist-upgrade

In the 'chroot' before remastering the CD/DVD breaks the Casper boot
because, despite the fact Casper's i386 kernel is outside the 'squashfs'
it still has dependencies on the CD/DVD compressed root filesystem...

I've now fixed the problem by 'holding' the i386 kernel at the version
used to create the 6.06.1 LTS 'live' CD. I've read instructions about
how to 'expert' a custom kernel from the 'chroot', but not done it yet.

When it's a bit more stable, I'll put an iso image of the DVD on:

	http://bioinformatics.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt/biobuntu

It boots OK now, but it still needs more work before it's ready :-)

Good luck with the upgrade to Etch!

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687