[Bio-Linux] First impressions of Bio-Linux5

Tony Travis rwt017 at abdn.ac.uk
Sun Dec 7 17:10:53 EST 2008

Hello, Stewart.

Thanks for sending me the USB version: I've installed it on my laptop,
and I'm sending you this email from Thunderbird under Bio-Linux5  :-)

Looks like KDE with this colour scheme  ;-)

First impression of the 'live' USB version is that you should make the
'Getting started' document local: I've got a Broadcom wireless chip that
needs firmware downloading on a wired connection to get it working. If
you don't have an internet connection, you can't even read the 'Getting
started' document. The equivalent Ubuntu document is local, of course.

The Flash and Java plugins for Firefox are not installed by default:

I had problems installing the Flash plugin because the Ubuntu deb is
broken (wrong URL for downloading the Adobe installer):

> Setting up flashplugin-nonfree (9.0.124.0ubuntu2) ...
> Downloading...
> --20:40:13--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
>            => `./install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz'
> Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com... 88.221.170.70
> Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com|88.221.170.70|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> 20:40:13 ERROR 404: Not Found.

I downloaded the Flash deb from the Adobe web site:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.deb

Then installed it manually:

	gdebi install_flash_player_10_linux.deb

I also manually installed the Sun Java plugin:

	aptitude install sun-java6-plugin

Looks like you've done a lot of work to get this out of the door!

I'll let you know how I get on with it - I'm planning to upgrade our
Beowulf servers to Bio-Linux5 over the Xmas break.

Bye,

         Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK