[Bio-Linux] Cloud computing...

Norman Morrison morrison at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Dec 17 10:31:33 EST 2008

A bit more fuel to add to the fire:
http://www.inkspotscience.com/blog/index.php/tag/cloud-computing/

In practice, I think some kind of compromise between the two 'extremes'
will be the likely outcome. Although it is very much a buzzword, I think
it would be unwise to dismiss cloud computing out of hand for one simple
reason... as Dawn mentioned, in what will be a carbon credit economy,
relocating cyber-infrastructure to remote renewable energy sites not
only helps the environment but can also alleviate the pressure on an
institution that is reaching it's carbon credit cap. In essence, cloud
computing will become a necessity driven by a carbon economy.

Tony - with Scotland's natural resources and cooler temperature enabling
data centres to be powered and subsequently cooled (aka rainy and cold)
- you could well end up becoming the European cloud computing hub!