[Bio-Linux] Cloud computing...

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Dec 17 11:42:09 EST 2008

But what you describe (running HMMer on Amazon, or wherever) is
'classic' GRID computing.  I don't think anyone is arguing against that
(other than complaining of the technical difficulties involved).

The buzzword 'cloud computing' seems to refer to situations where the
service provider supplies the computing power, software and storage for
every-day computing needs.  The classic example is webmail.  In this
case, you want to be very clear on your contractual relationship with
the provider.  What Stallman is basically saying is "I wouldn't have a
Hotmail or GMail account, and here's why...".

I don't entirely agree with him.  I trust my bank to look after my
money, and I would trust Google to look after my e-mail; but then my
bank is heavily regulated and backed by a deposit protection scheme.
Google isn't.

TIM

ps - Nice to see an interesting discussion on this list!