[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux Security Update

Shirras, Alan a.shirras at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 05:31:22 EST 2008

I have the same problem.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: bio-linux-bounces at envgen.nerc-oxford.ac.uk
[mailto:bio-linux-bounces at envgen.nerc-oxford.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Sarah
Follett
Sent: 15 February 2008 10:24
To: Bio-Linux help and discussion
Subject: Re: [Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux Security Update

Dear Stewart

I have installed the update, as you suggested, but unfortunately now my
computer won't boot up properly. If I allow it to automatically select
Kernel 2.6.18-6-686 it gets so far and then stops at this;

Begin:waiting for root file system...
input:ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse as /class/input/input2

I am able to boot up fully, as I have done now, if I manually select
kernel 2.6.18-4-686. What should I do, or can you log in and sort it
out? I am only here for 1 more week before I move to a new job, and I'd
like to leave the machine in working order!

Thanks
Sarah

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 16:03 +0000, Stewart Houten wrote:
> Dear Bio-Linux user,
>
> Last weekend a security bug [1] was discovered in the Linux kernel
> which should affect all Bio-Linux users who have already upgraded to
> Etch.  The bug has been fixed and a new kernel is now available.  I
> would strongly recommend that all systems administrators upgrade their

> kernel and reboot their machines at the earliest convenience.
>
> To install the new kernel run (as root or sudo),
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686
>
> and then reboot.  If you have any further questions please email the
> NEBC helpdesk - helpdesk at nebc.nox.ac.uk.
>
> Regards,
> Stewart
> --
> Dr Stewart Houten, Bio-Linux Developer NEBC, CEH, Mansfield Road,
> Oxford, OX1 3SR http://nebc.nox.ac.uk/
>
> [1]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/debian-security-annou
> nce-2008/msg00056.html