[Bio-Linux] Ubuntu question

Peter Dawyndt Peter.Dawyndt at UGent.be
Fri May 9 10:07:06 EDT 2008

Dear Dawn,

Many of our co-workers are working on either Debian or Ubuntu, where
Ubuntu seems like the most popular of the two on desktop systems. The
minor difference between the two seems to be that Ubuntu has more
frequent software releases than Debian, but with it comes that it's also
slightly less stable (won't be much of a problem). I have been using
Bio-Linux mainly for teaching purposes and would be happy to test out
the new version.

Best regards,

Peter

Dawn Field wrote:
> Many thanks for all the replies to the question about local versus central use of the Bio-Linux documentation system - it was largely used locally.
>
> A new query:
>
> Ubuntu is very similar (derived from) to Debian and very user-friendly - how many of you have experiences with it?
>
> Stewart is working on a DVD Install disk for Bio-Linux 5 and it will most likely be Ubuntu based...we are interested in views on future advance if you have them.
>
> Also, any testers out there once it's ready?   Anyone with a spare machine?
>
> best to all,
>
> Dawn

The StrainInfo.net bioportal has been officially released.
Check it out at www.straininfo.net or www.straininfo.be
Prof. Dr. Peter Dawyndt

Ghent University
Department of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science
Krijgslaan 281 S9
B-9000 Ghent
Belgium

Tel: (32)9.264.47.79