[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux 5.0 pre-release announcement

Stewart Houten shou at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Nov 26 10:39:52 EST 2008

Hi Tony,

> I think there are two different issues to consider: One is the 'live'
> DVD user, the other is the 'primary' user: When I created 'biobuntu', I
> set the 'live' DVD user to "manager" using 'reconstructor' to remaster
> the Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS 'live' CD.
>
> In NuGO we have a mandatory policy of making UID 1000 the local admin
> "manager", and UID "1001" remote admin "nugo". I think it is unwise to
> use the 'primary' user account by default, because it is a proxy for
> "root". I use the same policy on all our servers here, and my laptop!

Our policy for Bio-Linux is essentially the same but with different
names.  As a general rule we actively encourage our admins to create
separate and unprivileged accounts for all users of the system, and to
only use the "manager" account for administration tasks.  I have more
to add but we should probably take it off the list so I'll write
privately.

> Not tried your latest beta yet, but I have downloaded it :-)

Great.  I'd love to hear your comments.

Regards,
Stewart