[Bio-Linux] zsh

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 11:06:14 EST 2009

Hi Tony, all,

Nowadays there's probably little to choose between bash and zsh in terms
of features, so as Stewart says the primary motivation is historical
(all our documentation refers to zsh and our existing users are used to
it).  Personally I like the little conveniences in zsh - things like:

ls /m<tab><tab>

cycles through the completion options rather than just displaying them.
And:

echo `pwd`<tab>

replaces `pwd` with the command result in-place.  Also, pressing 'Alt+Q'
lets you push the current command buffer aside and you can add an
RPROMPT as well as a PROMPT etc. etc.

Since we're on the subject I'm going to add a blatant plug.  Since I've
started using Bio-Linux 5 I've collected a variety of tips and tweaks
that make it work better for me.  I'm sticking them on a blog in case
anyone else finds them useful and I'll be aiming to add about one post a
week for the next few months.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/blog/avarus-108601/

I'll be putting up some stuff about Z-shell quite soon.

Cheers,

TIM