[Bio-Linux] zsh

Bela Tiwari btiwari at ceh.ac.uk
Thu Feb 19 05:44:04 EST 2009

hi Tony,

As the discussion is now turning to NUGO/NEBC specific stuff, we'll get back to you off list about this.

cheers,

Bela

*************************
Dr. Bela Tiwari
Lead Bioinformatician
NERC Environmental
Bioinformatics Centre

CEH Oxford
Mansfield Road
Oxford, OX1 3SR
01865 281975

*************************

>>> a.travis at abdn.ac.uk 02/19/09 10:34 am >>>
Bela Tiwari wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My  memory of why we chose the z-shell is that, at the time, I was
> most familiar with tcsh and Dan (then the Bio-Linux developer) was
> most familiar with bash. Z-shell catered for both our syntax habits
> on the command line. More generally, we thought this would help
> others - i.e. those used to t or c shell, as well as those who used
> bash, would be able to use the same syntax as they were used to.

Hello, Bela and Tim.

I asked the question about "zsh" because "bash" is the standard shell
used in Ubuntu and, unless there are compelling reasons why you use
"zsh" instead I would like to use "bash". The Ubuntu documentation,
which we do use, assumes that the default interactive shell is "bash".

My own experience with BSD and SunOS led me to choose "csh" and later
"tsh" at the time, mainly for ease of manipulating command line history.
However, in terms of script portability, I stopped using "csh/tcsh"
completely when I migrated to Linux :-)

Under Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "bash" adopts a (very) strict POSIX compatibility
mode when invoked as "sh". This has caused me some problems with (other
people's!) shell scripts that use "#!/bin/sh", but expect to run "bash".

For NuGO, I'd like to explain why it is necessary for us to change from
using "bash" to "zsh" when we upgrade our NBX's to Bio-Linux 5.0?

Bye,

	Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK