[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux 5.0 security

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 10:26:09 EST 2009

Hello,

I've just installed Bio-Linux 5.0.2 on one of our NuGO servers (nbx1).

I'm pleased to see that "openssh-server" is pre-installed in Bio-Linux,
but I think it might be wise to install "fail2ban" as well, to defend
against 'brute-force' attacks from the Internet via SSH. I've done this
on "nbx1", and I've also installed "linux-server", which depends on the
latest version of the Ubuntu Linux kernel for 'server' equipment. The
'server' kernel supports PAE (Physical Address extension), which allows
32-bit systems to use >4GB RAM. Any one 32-bit process can't access more
than 4GB RAM, but several 32-bit processes can use > 4GB in total.

Thanks for all the work you've put into the latest Bio-Linux release!

Bye,

         Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK