[Bio-Linux] Cron and Qiime

Cox, Michael J michael.cox1 at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 29 10:40:36 EDT 2010

Dear All,

Hope you can forgive two, probably quite naive, questions.

1. I have recently installed Biolinux 6 as sole operating system on our new workstation.  I have two hard drives and so have used the 'setup backup disk' utility to format the second for automated backups.  The NEBC website gives details of how to restore back-ups, but I'd like to check to see whether they're actually being made nightly.  su-ing to root I can access the second hard drive, but the only directory, Lost+Found is empty.  Does this mean that cron.daily isn't running and how can I remedy this?  I also have packages to update in the morning, which should also be run automatically by cron.daily, adding to my suspicions.

2. Has anyone attempted a native install of Qiime and its dependencies on Biolinux 6? http://qiime.sourceforge.net/install/install.html
I am having an issue getting various programs that are present to be recognised.  I am editing .customrc in /etc/zsh/zshrc.d in order to set paths in zsh, but it doesn't seem to be working - is this the correct file to edit?

Thanks for your help

Mike Cox