[Bio-Linux] odd and confounding behavior with BioLinux distros 5 and 6

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Sat Apr 16 13:20:17 EDT 2011

On 16/04/11 02:44, John Bradsher wrote:
> I have recently turned on to BioLinux 6, and I run it daily on one
> machine with an Intel Core i5 processor. I have been interested to
> install BL6 on an older Pentium 4 machine. First, understand that I've
> been successful installing Ubuntu Linux 10.10 on this older machine, so
> I'm fairly confident that the processor is able to do the trick. The
> trouble comes when I insert the disk for BL6, I repeatedly get the error
> "x86 is expected, but found only i686 processor. Find a kernel
> appropriate for your processor."
>[...]

Hi, John.

The Core i5 is a 64-bit processor (x86_64) and is capable of running
Bio-Linux 6, which is based on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04, but the Pentium 4 is
only a 32-bit processor (i686) and is not capable of running it. The
previous version of Bio-Linux 5 was based on 32-bit Ubuntu 8.04 that
would run on a Pentium 4.

HTH,

  Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK