[Bio-Linux] odd and confounding behavior with BioLinux distros 5 and 6

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Sun Apr 17 17:30:36 EDT 2011

On 17/04/11 21:29, John Bradsher wrote:
> Hello Tony:
>
> Yes, the sequence and process as you see it in the last response is
> exactly what I'd expect should happen. But, alas, that doesn't happen,
> which is the source of my confusion. I've entered the BIOS several times
> and specified the boot order, but I always get the same thing: booting
> only to ubuntu 10.10, even with the bio-linux 5 iso in the boot drive.
> Any insights would be welcome.

Hi, John.

Check that you actually have a DVD reader on your 'old' P4 system!

I've been caught out before now by assuming that a CD/DVD reader was
fitted when, in fact, it was only a CD reader ;-)

Check that other CD's will boot on your P4 system in case there's a
problem with your CD/DVD reader. You could try the well-known UBCD:

   http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If that boots OK from a CD, try burning a copy to a DVD and see if that
also boots. It should do if your P4 CD/DVD reader is working properly,
but you might find some DVD-/+RW media incompatible with an old reader.

As a last resort, you could try disconnecting the hard disk, just to see
if the Bio-Linux 6 DVD will boot at all on your P4 system. If it does,
then your BIOS settings could be wrong.

HTH,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK