[Bio-Linux] Cannot install on Ubuntu "Depends: bio-linux-base-directories:i386 (>= 1.0-1) but it is not installable"

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at abgenomica.com
Thu Dec 6 14:43:06 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 03:56:53PM +0000,
 Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk> wrote
 a message of 84 lines which said:

> Ape is one such package.  Ubuntu 10.04 wouldn't see this package at
> all as it is i386/32-bit but 12.04 tries to install it anyway and
> then it wants an i386 compatibility library that doesn't exist.

OK, I understand, thanks for the explanations (I just used the script
from
<https://github.com/mchelen/bio-linux-tools/blob/master/bio-linux-install.sh>,
which includes many of these obsolete packages.)

> If you have Ubuntu 12.04, you should install the package
> bio-linux-shared, which will force you to remove
> bio-linux-base-directories.

Done.

> Anything which insists on putting bio-linux-base-directories back is
> a legacy package and either superseded or no longer supported.

bio-linux-emboss for instance :-(