[Bio-Linux] Bandwidth Issue

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Jul 5 10:01:27 EDT 2013

Hi Alec,

Is this because you have many BL boxes doing updates at once and
hammering the WAN, or do you want to just slow down one individual box?

In the former case, you probably want to deploy the apt-cacher-ng
package on a server machine to ensure that packages are only fetched
over the internet once and then just copied over the LAN from the cache.

In the latter case, search the manpage for apt.conf for "Dl-Limit" and
"Pipeline-Depth" which allow you to throttle bandwidth usage on any
machine.

Let me know if you need any more pointers on the above.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England