[Bio-Linux] Bandwidth cont.

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 09:09:09 EDT 2013

Hi Alec,

As Tony says, we need you to be a bit more specific about what you are
doing on Bio-Linux that "hammers" the WAN.  Downloading a large file on
Bio-Linux should be no different to downloading a large file to any
Windows machine, which I'm sure you do all the time, and I'd expect the
network architecture to share bandwidth fairly without snarling up.

It's common to rate-limit APT package updates because this is considered
a low-priority operation, but if just downloading a file in Firefox,
say, is snagging up the network then this would seem to be a more
serious issue and possibly a network issue.  In normal operation Linux
is very well behaved in accessing the network - for example I run
package updates at home over the broadband router and other devices can
still access the internet.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England