[Bio-Linux] Bandwidth cont.

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 09:27:40 EDT 2013

Hi,

> Have you tried nice'ing the download program?
>
>   nice -n 19 sftp ...

"Nice" only affects CPU scheduling priority.  It might help you to keep
the ssh login responsive while the download is happening, but otherwise
I can't see it doing much.  Unless you only have a single CPU core in
the server it won't make any difference at all.

> To throttle at the hardware level, you could fit a 100Mbit NIC or
> configure your switch to connect at 10/100Mbit instead of 1Gbit?

This would seem a little desperate.

I think you need to experiment with the -l/--limit-rate option to wget
as Tony suggested.  Maybe start at 1k/sec and try doubling the rate
until you hit problems.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England