[Bio-Linux] System on Parallels broken after updates

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Tue May 21 12:10:10 EDT 2013

Hi Tauqeer,

That's not good!  First thing is to see if you can get a fallback
desktop.  It's not really a fix but you will at least be able to use
your Bio-Linux system.

If you restart the Parallels VM, I assume you still see the login
manager where it asks for your password?  If you click the icon next to
your name and choose "Gnome desktop (no effects)" can you log in and see
an old-style menu bar and apps menu at the top?

I'd like to see if the update process failed somehow and left the system
in an inconsistent state.  If you can get to the command line, can you
run:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

What does it say?

And finally, what happens if you then run:

unity --replace

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England