[Bio-Linux] BioLinux/Ubuntu Package Manager Question

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Sep 16 14:03:42 EDT 2013

Hi Christopher,

The short answer is you need a web proxy server, whatever the IT staff
say.

Without this, you could try to manually copy the updates as .deb files
from /var/cache/apt/archives on an on-line machine and install them on
the VMs with "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" but this is never going to be
practical if you want regular updates.  And it assumes that the updates
for the VMs and the on-line machine are identical, which they probably
aren't because you'll add and remove packages on different machines.

So really you need some sort of web proxy that permits the VMs to
retrieve package updates themselves.  The proxy only needs to permit
connections to the servers listed in sources.list, which you can list
like so (it varies depending on locale so I can't just paste the list):

cat /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* | grep -o 'http[^ ]*' | sort -u

Can your IT people be persuaded that a web proxy only accessing a small
list of known servers is safe?  It does seem rather crazy to connect
your institute to the high-speed internet access you undoubtedly have
and then to spend your time shuttling files back and forth manually.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England