[Bio-Linux] Graphics Performance in VMs

Rudy J. Richardson rjrich at umich.edu
Sun Aug 3 12:58:22 EDT 2014

Yes, I maxed out the video settings on VB as well as on Parallels and
VMware Fusion. I also installed the additional tools in each case.

One way that I assess relative video performance is to run a
graphics-intensive molcular modeling program, YASARA. With Parallels,
YASARA runs passbly well, whereas under VB, I get a flickering screen with
YASARA and cannot really run the program. VMware Fusion is intermediate
between Parallels and VB.

Regarding Xfce, I have found that the Mint implementation of Xfce is
particularly nice. It looks superb right out of the box with Mint's
default settings.