[Bio-Linux] Parallels

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 09:30:42 EDT 2014

Hi Rudy,

Thanks for sharing your experience of Parallels, VB, etc.  It's
interesting to hear that Parallels 9 makes such a difference to graphics
performance.  If you do get around to trying the OVA version of
Bio-Linux 8 on Parallels I'd be interested to hear if it works and if
there are any tips/tweaks that Parallels users could benefit from that I
could put up on the website.  I've now tested the OVA on VMWare
Workstation 10 and it throws a couple of warnings but then seems to work
fine.

You may have noticed that MATE is the new default 2D desktop in BL8, as
I wanted some continuity from "Gnome classic".  I've been using it for
the last few weeks and found it pretty stable, but maybe I've not
stressed it enough, or else the newer version addresses the issues, or
else they only appear on Parallels.  All feedback and observations in
this area are gratefully received.

Cheers,

TIM