[Bio-Linux] biolinux 8, Tophat incompatible with Bowtie2

Josh Thackray thackray at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Dec 8 14:19:35 EST 2014

Hi Tim,

Sounds great, please post to the list when you have the package ready.
In the meantime, I figured out a workaround to the problem:

 1. The installed version of tophat looks for the bowtie2 executable
    using the name "bowtie2-align" which only exists for older versions
    of bowtie2. In newer versions of bowtie2, the aligner is renamed
    just "bowtie2". The solution here is to create a symbolic link
    "bowtie2-align" in /usr/bin that points to the "bowtie2" wrapper script.
 2. The other change necessary is a little worse to implement. For this
    we actually need to hack the tophat python script as detailed in
    this post:
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tuxedo-tools-users/vG5Rn0IgxoA/plOE89Yi55kJ.
    Its only a one line addition to get tophat to get the sam header
    from bowtie2 properly, specifically adding the -x argument.

These two changes got tophat working (mostly) properly with bowtie2 with
the default installed versions.

The thing that was weird for me was that running tophat with -p > 3
would cause my entire system to become completely unresponsive. I have a
system with two quad-core processors so I tried running with "-p 8", and
the system would freeze (mouse and keyboard did nothing). Running tophat
with -p in {1, 2, 3} worked very well, and saw appropriate speedups, but
using any -p >= 4, the system would freeze. Any ideas on this? This
issue seems quite weird to me. I have a post about it over on biostars
(https://www.biostars.org/p/122639/)

Thanks,

Josh

Josh Thackray