[Bio-Linux] BIolinux 7 qiime

Steve Moss gawbul at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:54:50 EDT 2014

Dear Krishnaveni,

The $ symbol signifies part of the shell prompt. This usually corresponds
to an environment variable called PS1 (see
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guide_to_Unix/Environment_Variables#PS1). You
can change the shell prompt to be whatever you like (see
http://www.linuxnix.com/2013/04/linuxunix-shell-ps1-prompt-explained-in-detail.html
).

It just so happens that running QIIME changes you into a new shell, setup
with all the necessary environment variables from running the QIIME
commands, along with a custom shell prompt so that you know you are running
within the QIIME environment. Hence the 'qiime >' instead of the '$'. You
can still run commands as usual from that shell. If you type exit, it
should return you back to your usual shell prompt with the $ instead.

Cheers,

Steve
--
Steve Moss