[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux 8 now available

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 11:54:57 EDT 2014

Dear All,

The Bio-Linux system gets a major new release every two years following
the regular Ubuntu "LTS" releases.  Since Ubuntu 14.04 LTS came out in
April I've been working with help from the Bio-Linux community to make
Bio-Linux 8 and it is now ready and available via the new website.

  http://environmentalomics.org/bio-linux/

Upgrades from Bio-Linux 7 to 8 do not require re-installation. I
encourage you all to upgrade soon, as new bioinformatics packages will
no longer be provided for Bio-Linux 7.  See the "Installation" section
for instructions on upgrading your BL7 machine.

The new Ubuntu 14.04 base system brings many benefits such as increased
hardware compatibility and new office and multimedia software, but
Bio-Linux itself also has many improvements and new/updated packages.
Also for the first time there is a version in OVA format for
VirtualBox/VMWare users, and this version will be updated whenever new
ISO files are released.  See the "What's New" and "Software List" pages
on the website for details.

As ever, please report problems and feedback to
helpdesk at nebc.nerc.ac.uk.  I can't promise to fix everything but will
endeavour to provide help and squash bugs where I can.  Also, please let
me know if you use Bio-Linux for teaching or manage a large installation
on your departmental server or computing lab.  The more we can prove
that people find this stuff useful, the more likely we are to get future
funding!

I hope you enjoy using Bio-Linux 8.

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England