[Bio-Linux] Fresh install - partitioning?

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 08:20:01 EDT 2014

Hi Vikram,

I've seen similar issues before.  I sent the following advice to someone
a while back and it helped, so I'm copying that below for you.  Does it
get you anywhere?

Cheers,

TIM

> The final step that the installer does is to add the Linux bootloader,
> named GRUB, to the system.  One obvious fix is to try and re-run the
> installer, but you can also do this bit manually, as follows:
>
>      1. Boot the Live stick or DVD and "Try Bio-Linux"
>      2. Click the "Home Folder" icon to get the file browser
>      3. Select the Linux partition from the devices list - you will
see
>         "bin boot cdrom ...etc" listed as folders.
>      4. Open a terminal and type the command:  cd /media/*/bin/..
>      5. Then type "ls" and check you see the same folder names as in
3.
>      6. Give the following commands.  Only the last one should print
any
>         output:
>
> sudo mount --bind /dev ./dev
> sudo mount --bind /proc ./proc
> sudo mount --bind /sys ./sys
> sudo chroot .
> df .
>
> Here, you should see the filesystem listed as /dev/sda5 or similar.
It
> could be sda4 or sda6.  The important thing is that it is /dev/sdaN
and
> not /dev/sdbN or /dev/sdcN etc.
>
> If so, we're nearly there - two more commands:
>
> grub-install /dev/sda
> update-grub
>
> Does that make the system boot?  If not, does it give any informative
> errors?

Cheers,

TIM

On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 12:03 +0100, Vikram Chhatre wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>

> Thanks for your reply.  I have tried going both ways, creating
> partitions or having the system do it.  I am ending up with the same
> error in both cases.
>
> “The grub efi amd64 signed package failed to install into /target/.
> Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.”
>

> The Ubuntu forum search hasn't been too useful with this error.  Do
> you any suggestions?
>

> Thanks
> Vikram
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Tony Travis <tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>         On 14/10/14 15:10, Vikram Chhatre wrote:
>         > Hello,
>         >
>         > New Bio-Linux user here.  We are getting ready to install
>         v.8 on a Dell
>         > PowerEdge server and wondering if we need to manually create
>         root, home,
>         > boot and swap partitions.  If we go with the default option,
>         what
>         > partitions are created?
>
>         I recommend installing into four partitions:
>
>           /
>           swap
>           /home
>           /work
>
>         The "work" directory is where to work on shared projects,
>         because "home"
>         should be private"
>
>         HTH,
>
>           Tony.
>
>         --
>         Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of
>         Biological and
>         Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar
>         Drive, Aberdeen
>         AB24 3UU, Scotland, UK. tel +44(0)1224 272700, fax +44 (0)1224
>         272 396
>         http://www.abdn.ac.uk, mailto:tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk,
>         skype:ajtravis
>

>         The University of Aberdeen is a charity registered in
>         Scotland, No SC013683.
>         Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an
>         Alba, Àir. SC013683.

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England