[Bio-Linux] Fwd: Public Facing Galaxy Server Configuration

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 11:02:35 EDT 2015

Hi Ryan,

I would imagine that your local network firewall is blocking incoming
access on this port.  The default settings on the Bio-Linux internal
firewall do not try to distinguish between what is on the local network
and what is on the wider internet, so if port 8080 is accessible from
the computer next door it should be accessible from anywhere.

You need to talk to your local network admins.  They may say that
opening port 8080 to the whole internet is insecure, and I'd be inclined
to agree with them.  You should consider if you can ask for specific
trusted hosts to be given access.  Failing that, if your machine is
publicly accessible via SSH then you can tunnel the connection, so that
people will only be able to see Galaxy once they have successfully
connected with SSH.

Let me know if you want more specifics on that.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>