[Bio-linux-list] [Bio-Linux-list] Can't install Biolinux8 in DELL Precision T5810

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Tue Dec 15 06:54:38 EST 2015

Hi Xavi,

[Note - I've switched the discussion to the new mailing list server]

I've seen similar issues where the driver tries to initialise the
graphics card and the whole thing just locks up.  It think you are on
the right track booting the USB on a working machine and trying to
tinker with the drivers, but I'd follow this guide and add the
enablement drivers for X (I can't do this by default as it totally
breaks VirtualBox support):

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

On the working machine you should also do an integrity check on the USB
to be sure.

I'm surprised that removing "quiet splash" didn't at least give you some
boot messages.  If you replace "quiet splash" with the word "text" you
should boot straight to a command prompt.  Does that work?

I'm also surprised by this bit:

> it only boot in an Ubuntu 12.04 (instead of 14.04) GUI

Bio-Linux 8 is 100% Ubuntu 14.04 so I'm not sure what this indicates.
If you get to the text prompt as noted above run "lsb_release -a".  This
should confirm that you are on trusty/14.04

Cheers,

TIM