[Bio-Linux] BioLinux 8 - Hangs after Login

Tony Travis tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Jan 7 05:35:41 EST 2015

On 06/01/15 19:36, Dubay, Christopher J wrote:
> On my first booting-up of BioLinux this year (2015), in a VMware
> under Windows 7 environment that had been working well, I was greeted
> with a new login screen image (green berries). Nice.
>
> I logged in, and never get to a working GUI (the same thing happens
> for the Guest account), I get a GUI window with no menus/icons (just
> green berries). I can Alt+Ctrl+F1 to a terminal, but cannot restart
> the GUI ('sudo service lightdm restart' just returns me to the GUI
> window with no menus/icons as before).
> [...]

Hi, Christopher.

You could try the Gnome 'Flashback' desktop instead or MATE, which does
not require hardware accelerated graphics. I've found that you get a
blank screen on a remote desktop (i.e. not a VM) if you try to run Unity
and this is one reason why we use MATE as the remote desktop.

Just select the icon to the upper right of where you type in your
username on the login screen to choose a different desktop session.

HTH,

  Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.