[Bio-Linux] Lack of UCSC tools in Bio-Linux 8

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 09:30:29 EST 2015

Hi Ian,

We did make a Deb package, but we can't redistribute it as part of
Bio-Linux:

http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/downloads/bio-linux/ucsc-tools-non-free_3.1-2_amd64.deb

But in fact this is rather out of date, and installing the version from
UCSC is just a matter of following their own instructions.  As I recall
it's very simple.  So that would be the recommendation for installing
the tools.

Cheers,

TIM

On Wed, 2015-01-28 at 11:22 +0000, Ian Donaldson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just stumbled across the fact that the UCSC tools are not installed =
> in Bio-Linux 8, apparently due to licensing issues.  This means some tools =
> do not work in GALAXY.
>
> [galaxy-server-all]
> "This meta-package installs the full Galaxy environment including many thir=
> d party tools (see wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Dependencies). Exc=
> eptions are currently: LAJ - no source available UCSC tools - license restr=
> icts redistribution outside academia"
>
> What is the recommendation for installing this tools in to BL8, assuming ac=
> ademic usage?
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England