[Bio-Linux] Tablet and x2go crashes the current session

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 10:39:25 EDT 2015

Hi Sej,

OK, I can only vouch for the bio-linux-tablet version running on the
default OpenJava JVM as that's the only one I test.

If there is some feature you need in the new Tablet version then let me
know and I'll try to prioritise updating it.

The issue is probably not with tablet or Java per-se but with the
graphics libraries they use.  The libraries on Ubuntu have been patched
to fix these issues and make them x2go compatible, and the DEB packages
are then compiled to use the system libraries, which is why the official
packages generally work.  If you install Java or Tablet manually you'll
find they come bundled with their own un-patched graphics libraries.

Cheers,

TIM

On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 14:08 +0000, Sejal Modha wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> It's a random bug but I had managed to replicate the x2go crash issue
> with Ubuntu, Mac and Windows x2go clients.
> x2go server is updated but I am running slightly different version of
> Java
>
> $ java -version
> java version "1.7.0_76"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.76-b04, mixed mode)
>
> However, this was resolved by installing the
> bio-linux-tablet(1.14.04.10) instead of the latest available version
> 1.14.10.20
>
> Other Java applications do not have this issue.
>
> Thanks
> Sej
> On 17/03/15 13:59, Booth, Timothy G. wrote:
>
> > Hi Sej,
> >
> > Sorry to hear this.  I've not seen this issue before, and I just tried running Tablet via x2go and it worked fine.  Could you please check the following:
> >
> > 1) Is x2go on the server fully updated?
> > 2) Which client are you connecting from?  Mac, Windows, Linux?  Are you able to try from an alternative OS?
> > 3) Any messages or errors if you start Tablet from the command line?
> > 4) Are you using the regular version of Java:
> >
> > $ java -version
> > java version "1.7.0_75"
> > OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.4) (7u75-2.5.4-1~trusty1)
> > OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.75-b04, mixed mode)
> >
> > 5) What about other Java applications?  eg. Acacia, Artemis?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > TIM

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England