[Bio-Linux] Biolinux 8, pymol and Tkinter error using the builder function

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Wed May 27 10:14:57 EDT 2015

Hi,

> thanks for the quick reply! I have just updated the pymol package and
> I can confirm that the bug is no longer there!

Cool.

> Do you think it might be worth to push this bug to upstream? from what
> I can understand googling the issue there seems to be almost nobody
> else experiencing it...let me know what you think, I can open the
> bugreport if you wish.

I'm not sure.  In all likelihood this issue is specific to Ubuntu 14.04
because of the particular version of Python used.  I strongly suspect it
is fixed if you upgrade to the latest Ubuntu/Debian.

There are four places you could report it:
1) The Pymol developers, but they might just say "upgrade your Python"
2) The Debian maintainers, but they won't really care about Ubuntu bugs
3) The Ubuntu MOTU maintainers (for Pymol), but they have a lot to deal
with
4) The Ubuntu core developers (for Python2)

If you want to make a report I'd suggest you do (4) since this is where
the bug really lies, and I'd file a bug here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python2.7

Here is a nice simple test case that demonstrates the bug:

#!/usr/bin/python2.7
from Tkinter import Tk, Entry
root = Tk()
e = Entry(root)