[Bio-linux-list] uptdating softwares on biolinux

Flavia Flaviani flacchy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:50:50 EST 2016

Hi Tony,

thank you so much for the advice. I will give it a try. just a quick final
question, will I have to run both sudo command? We access through Remote
desktop connection or ssh into Biolinux, do you reckon I will have to have
access to the real machine after the update?

Cheers

Flavia

:

> On 03/02/16 15:27, Flavia Flaviani wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In our lab we just install biolinux 8. I am new to biolinux and I have
> > notice that some of the versions of software in biolinux 8 are not the
> > latest (i.e. blast and swarm). I will need to update this versions for
> > all the users so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on  how to
> > update them without creating conflicts? I have tried to look at swarm
> > documentation here: https://github.com/torognes/swarm but it seems not
> > to have any information on updating and I am not sure if just
> > downloading the new file will do the trick.
> >
> > Same for ncbi blast, does anyone know a way to update the version on
> > biolinux 8 quickly?
>
> Hi, Flavia.
>
> Before you do anything, make sure your Bio-Linux 8 is up-to-date:
>
>   sudo apt update
>   sudo apt full-upgrade
>
> The .iso image used to create the DVD or USB-stick is just a snapshot of
> the Bio-Linux + Debian-Med + Debian + Ubuntu repositories at the time it
> was made: If you don't enable upgrades during an install, the first
> thing you have to do after installation is to update Bio-Linux.
>
> HTH,
>
>   Tony.
>
> --
> Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
> Registered Office: 3 Donview, Bridge of Alford, AB33 8QJ, Scotland (UK)
> tel. +44(0)19755 63548                    http://minke-informatics.co.uk
> mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk

Flavia Flaviani

*PhD student*
University of Cape Town, South Africa
In collaboration with
The marine Biological Association of the UK (Plymouth, UK)
flvfla001 at myuct.ac.za
flafla at mba.ac.uk