[Bio-linux-list] VB guest window resizing problem

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 09:36:04 EDT 2016

On 08/06/16 12:31, Sara Rassner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been running Bio-Linux 8 in VirtualBox for some time and all of a
> sudden it's throwing up some issues related to VirtualBox.
>
> Yesterday, it would not complete booting up, but get stuck on a black
> screen after the green Bio-Linux 8 logo with the green dots. After some
> repeated reloading of guest additions I got to the point where it would
> boot normally, but now I can no longer resize the Bio-Linux desktop
> within the guest window, but rather I'm stuck with a very small one
> (640x480, I think). In the past this has been a guest additions related
> problem, but this time I'm not sure how to solve it.

Hi, Sara.

If you press the 'Esc' key, you will see the boot messages, which might
help you to work out what is going wrong. Are you running the 'OVA' VM
that Tim created or did you install Bio-Linux from an 'ISO' image?

> I'm running VirtualBox Version 5.0.20 r106931 with Extension pack 5.0.20
> r106931 and the most up-to-date Guest Additions (that came with the
> 5.0.20 update). After reading suggestions elsewhere, I tried using Guest
> Additions 5.0.16. This didn't work, but in the process of swapping
> between the two guest additions versions, I managed to move from
> Bio-Linux not booting properly to booting. But I still can't resize the
> window. If it helps: In the guest window, the 'Auto-resize guest
> display' and 'virtual screen1' resizing options are all greyed out.

What is your host OS?

> I should say that I've also got Mageia 5 in VB and that is running
> absolutely fine, window resizing as it should etc.

One problem might be running Unity, which requires hardware graphics
acceleration. Without it, Bio-Linux/Ubuntu 14.04 will default to a low
resolution screen and performance will be terrible :-(

> Any suggestions for how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Please give us some more details about the host OS and which Bio-Linux
VM you're using. It would also be useful to know if you've upgraded your
Bio-Linux 8?

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk