[Bio-linux-list] 'Uninstalling' bio-linux

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Mon May 30 19:22:29 EDT 2016

On 30/05/16 21:40, Robert Evans wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've had Biolinux on my personal computer for a few years but haven't
> used the bioinformatics programs.  I'd like to 'downgrade' to Ubuntu
> LTS, and then transition to the regular 6 month updates.
>
> Is there a way I can do this without messing the system up?  Preferably
> also without having to reinstall the OS.

Hi, Robert.

I've got a script that will generate a list of packages to 'dselect':

> https://c6c327180cc0273ce5f218d003699c8b3cb652d4.googledrive.com/host/0B-h6GDwW40mtTEctZldjZG4xdTQ/

It compares the filesystem 'manifest' of a live DVD with the packages
that are installed on the local system, or the packages installed on two
different hosts e.g. Bio-Linux 8 on "wildcat" vs Ubuntu 14.04:

Extract the tar file and try it out like this:

> rwt017 at wildcat:~/Desktop/dpkg-dsel$ ./dpkg-dsel localhost ubuntu-14.04-desktop.sel
> abyss						deinstall
> acacia						deinstall
> account-plugin-windows-live                     install
> aglfn						deinstall
> agrep						deinstall
> alacarte					deinstall
> amap-align					deinstall
> ampliconnoise					deinstall
> ant-gcj						deinstall
> ant						deinstall
> [...]
> xscreensaver-data				deinstall
> xscreensaver-gl					deinstall
> xsltproc					deinstall
> xtrans-dev					deinstall
> xvnc4viewer					deinstall
> zim						deinstall
> zlib1g-dev				deinstall
> zlib1g:i386					deinstall
> zsh-common					deinstall
> zsh						deinstall

This is a list of 'dselect-upgrade' package selections that should be
"installed" or "deinstalled": I use it to audit my Bio-Linux systems.

You can install it, and add any other package selections. You can also
use it to compare the package selections installed on two hosts e.g.

> rwt017 at wildcat:~/Desktop/dpkg-dsel$ ./dpkg-dsel localhost alleycat | head
> 3dm2						install
> account-plugin-identica				install
> agrep						deinstall
> alacarte					deinstall
> ant-gcj						deinstall
> antlr3						deinstall
> ant-optional-gcj				deinstall
> apparmor-utils					deinstall
> apport-symptoms					deinstall
> attr						deinstall
> [...]
> x11proto-xinerama-dev				deinstall
> xaw3dg:i386					install
> xbrlapi						deinstall
> xfonts-100dpi					deinstall
> xfonts-75dpi					deinstall
> xindy						deinstall
> xindy-rules					deinstall
> xscreensaver-data				deinstall
> xserver-xorg-lts-saucy				install
> zim						deinstall

The results show how to change the first host to match the manifest
selections or the packages that are installed on the second host.

HTH,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk