[Bio-linux-list] Bio-Linux Unity Desktop

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 09:25:26 EDT 2017

On 27/04/17 14:11, Brian Golding wrote:
> I use both UNITY and KDE (by far, far perfer the later).
>
> >From what you have written below sounds as though MATE is the easiest
> choice but will it have the same lifetime?

Hi, Brian.

MATE is a fork of Gnome 2:

> https://mate-desktop.org/

It's widely supported across different Linux distro's, including Ubuntu:

> http://ubuntu-mate.org/

I know that Bio-Linux is used on low-spec laptops and desktops, and that
bandwidth constraints on remote desktops also impose limits on
performance. Unity, Gnome3 and KDE all require hardware graphics
acceleration to work properly. The Gnome 'Flashback' session, does not,
but it's performance is not good in comparison to MATE on the same system.

Have you tried running Bio-Linux 8 under KDE?

Thanks for your comments,

  Tony.

tel. +44(0)19755 63548 http://minke-informatics.co.uk
mob. +44(0)7985 078324 mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk