[Bio-linux-list] Bio-Linux Unity Desktop

Sara Rassner sararassner at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 27 09:31:24 EDT 2017

Hi,

>An advantage of choosing
>Ubuntu-MATE is that we would only need one set of training materials for
>local and remote use of Bio-Linux and MATE requires considerably less
>resources from the computer hardware than Gnome 3, which makes MATE more
>suitable for running on older laptops or desktop computers.

I think this is a very important consideration, since many of us are running Bio-Linux in VB on desktop PCs, so freeing up resources for the actual analysis is a good thing.

For users, like myself, who don't have that much experience with Linux and who are using Bio-Linux for bioinformatics only, it doesn't matter too much which desktop is used, as long as software and files can be easily found from the desktop. Personally, I prefer having both a menu tree and a search box, so that I can find everything even if I'm not sure where it is located or what it's called.

Best wishes,

Sara