[Bio-linux-list] Bio-Linux Unity Desktop

Raony Guimaraes Corrêa Do Carmo Lisboa Cardenas raonyguimaraes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 12:31:12 EDT 2017

Hi Tony,

I'm all for MATE as well! The only downside I heard recently about MATE is
that now with Ubuntu choosing GNOME 3 as the default there will be a lot of
effort going to the gnome project. Not that this will kill MATE, but it
will certainly  help improve GNOME 3 in the long run.

I like the approach of https://antergos.com which lets you choose the
Desktop Environment you want during installation. The antergos installer
was also a fork of Mate-welcome project which is something we should
definitely plan to have for the Bioinformatics packages in Biolinux. Ubuntu
is kind of outdated regarding this ...

Lastly, this is all free software, we are all an apt get install gnome/kde
away from any other DE.
The most important is to have lots of Bioinformatics packages available in
a repository. That saves time!

Kind Regards.